How to Access Web.Config file?
To Access the Web.config file in Websites Hosted Environment:
Caution: Before making any modifications to your web.config make sure you create a viable backup of your site that can be restored should the edits create a problem. To back up your site, refer to Back up Your Website Using Plesk.
In a default installation, your web.config file is located in the httpdocs folder
. If file extensions are not listed, it may just appear as web. Visual Studio is the program we recommend using when modifying the web.config. However, if it is not installed on your local machine, you can use Notepad ++
or simply Notepad to make changes to the web.config file.
Options for Accessing Your Web.config
· Use FTP to download, modify and then upload the file.
· Use Plesk Control Panel to access and modify the file.
Use FTP to Download, Modify, and then Upload the Web.config File Back to the Server
1. Open your FTP program on your local machine.
2. Use FTP to access your site. See How to Use FTP for information on how to use your ftp account to access your files.
3. Navigate to the httpdocs folder.
4. Select the web.config file and drag it to your local machine.
5. Make a copy and then modify the file as needed to resolve the issue you are working through.
6. To send the updated file back to your server, drag the modified version to the httpdocs folder.